Please Don't be Offended but, You Offended Me






I’ve been debating about writing this next post for a very long time. Wondering if it was necessary or if it would come off rude. I try to make my blogs positive. I try to open the eyes to others on the process of Adoption. Over the past year I’ve written over 14 pieces. I’ve shared with you all things I didn’t know I needed to share. You’ve given me the opportunity to face some inner demons and really dig deep into the person this journey is building. This Blog has given me the opportunity to grow, and heal by allowing me to be honest with myself.


I had a recent conversation with a friend about our process and she told me she was thankful that she got to spend one on one time with me. She said she hears me talk about the adoption often but really wanted to see how I truly am doing. She wanted to see the part I always hide. I was surprised, shocked actually! She caught me. I put on a strong face or at least I thought I did. I quickly became a little relieved that I could be honest with her and share what was actually going on behind doors.

 Infertility and Adoption is a difficult journey and I realized I was only sharing the happy and exciting parts. The segments that showed Joy, and the measurements that I felt were valuable. The point of this blog is to prepare and educate those who are interested in making their family through adoption, and who seek to help those going through the process. People often think of the time frame of adoption and correlates that with the hardest part of the process. You definitely need patience, but that isn’t even close to the hardest part.

Before I begin I need you to know three very important things,

1.       I have accepted Gods plan for Jeff and me and I’m filled with incredible joy that we get to fly to China to bring home our child who has grown in our hearts for such a long time.

2.       We still cannot believe how much support and love we have from friends and family. Our fundraisers have all gone amazingly well. We understand we are very lucky as some families do not get this same experience.

3.       I do not believe anyone who made one of the following comments, made them intentionally to hurt us. I believe they really did try to make me feel better or tried to understand. That does not mean it did not hurt or that I didn’t continually think about the comment that was made about my child that day.

This blog is for all the voices that are unheard and all the families who are too polite to speak of the upsetting questions and comments that are being told to us. This blog is the darker and not so happy side of infertility and adoption. If I didn’t share this with you I wouldn’t be completely honest and open about the expectations of this journey. These conversations and encounters are not to attack or bring up one person or one situation. These comments have been made to my family and others, many times. I would like to educate on some of the things you may be thinking that should perhaps been expressed in more of an appropriate manner. Some things should never be said at all.

Please don’t be offended if you offended me.

How much does your child cost?

Why don’t you adopt from your own country?

Do you know anything about their real parents?



Ok two of these are pretty common and I understand if you haven’t met many people who have adopted why you would ask these questions but in truth, these are very, very personal, one in which is very hurtful. I’ve become almost a zombie when I answer these questions because of how often those questions are asked. I also remind myself every time that it’s good that people ask questions, but it doesn’t mean I don’t go a little numb inside.

About on average how much does the process of adoption cost?

 This is more of an appropriate way of asking. It’s not a secret either you could google it if you’re really interested. I do not find myself asking people how much their hospital stay was or how much their C-section would cost if insurance didn’t cover. The price of adoption sucks, that’s not a lie but when you have a love for a child, nothing will stop you to get to them or to give them a life they deserve.

I’m curious what led your heart to do an international adoption?

I get this can be a curious question. I guess it’s the way it’s stated and the tone that person uses. Almost like, “you’re an American, your white why do you want a child from a different country?”

An orphan is an orphan no matter where they come from or what they look like so let’s get that straight. This question isn’t easy for me to answer because I just knew. I knew our child was born in China and is waiting for us. I just knew. God created us to answer other’s prayers. He places our joys and dreams in our heart so that we can live the life we were meant to live. Now if you talk about the way the system works whether it’s a domestic or international adoption we can get into detail of that later. But before we knew all the details of what the differences were, we already knew……

This one stings. “Real parents”.  Do people really know what they sound like when they say this to us?

First of all there are so many families out there that are not blood related. I’m as close to my in-laws than I am to my biological extended family. My friend’s mom is my 2nd mom. My best friends are my sisters. A family is not a last name, it is not biology.

It is Trust, support, Sacrifice, acceptance, Loyalty. It’s fighting for the other person to be happy. Crying with one another, laughing with one another. A family is built on Love.

I am real. I’m alive. I’m right here and will be by my child’s side during the hard times, the fun times and worst times. This question hurts so bad it’s almost a slap in the face.

Asking about their biological parents, I understand. Our child will one day ask those questions and they might be difficult conversations. Our child will have a harder time with this as we won’t have any answers. We will not know anything about them. We will have to try our best to explain to our little one how much their biological parents loved them, and that is why they chose to make an adoption plan so our child could have a better life with us. Our child will know we are thankful to them, and pray for them every night because if it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t have our little one.

If you want to know about their “real parents” chat me up! I’m an open book. You can even pinch me, I’m real. 😊



There are times I talk with friends or others about their children and the phases their little ones are going through. Motherhood is hard! I see them putting all their energy into raising their children in an amazing awe that I cannot wait to be by their side. There is no doubt there are nights they struggle to stay awake taking care of their teething baby. Or forget to brush their own teeth because they were running late packing for their kid’s day care bag. They put their child first and the random times they vent about lack of sleep or forgetting to eat or running out of clean clothes isn’t an issue. I know, they know they are lucky and they know I know I will one day be sleep deprived as well.

What is the issue, are the things they say to me

“be lucky you’ll skip the teething phase”

Or

you’ll be glad you won’t have to deal with breast feeding

Or

“How nice, your child will be old enough to walk already”



You all say this and yet complain how fast your child is growing. You fear your child is teething and I fear no one is holding mine and consoling them when they are in pain. You are exhausted from feeding your child and I long and pray I can have that bond with my child one day.

Who is rocking my child to sleep? Does someone hear them if they cry?

 I miss their first smile, laugh, crawl, steps, word. Those 18months when they are growing and learning, I won’t be there and I would do ANYTHING to get those moments with them.

You don’t mean to hurt my feelings when you express your thoughts I can even see you are trying to comfort me about the situation, but it’s a testy subject. Adoption has its challenges and it’s not the money or paperwork that makes it difficult. It’s knowing our little one is across the world and we can’t run to them or hold them. It’s the waiting period that is the hardest.  


“Miracles can happen I bet you’ll still get pregnant!”

“If you get pregnant you wouldn’t have to adopt”

“Are you sure you can’t get pregnant?”

Infertility is a grueling occurrence. Obviously not planned, and rips a hole in your heart.

It erases all your plans you once had and forces you put on a strong face while you are breaking on the inside. You don’t show emotion or your fear because you don’t know if anyone could possibly understand the ache your heart is undergoing. You hide your pain because no one needs to know, because no one can help. 

There are ok days. There are bad days, and then there are dark days.

Each month is heart breaking.

You must physically allow yourself to feel again because of how numb you forced yourself to be.

You cry, you pray. You scream, you hate yourself, you hate the world and you hate the fact you love this child so much. You hate that you physically can’t give your husband a child.

Your child consumes your heart.
You protect it, attempt to keep it strong,
keep it from breaking anymore to keep your child alive.  

You fight, HARD, every day until medically you need surgery and find out the worst.

By multiple doctors.

4 years times 12 months. You never want to hold a pregnancy test again.

It is an emotional trauma,
you live day, after day, after day,
wondering how you are surviving.

Jeff and I grieved, until a form of peace entered our hearts. Not sure if he remembers where he was but I was sitting in my living room when I finally listened to our calling. A sense of Joy and hope filled my soul I had goosebumps all over. I remember thinking about adoption many years prior, and having doubts. I hadn’t thought about it since and that day it was kinda like A-HA! Our life had light again, we felt safe, we felt empowered.


I have accepted my infertility and YOU NEED TO TOO.

My life is not meant to carry my child. You tell me a miracle can happen, well it already is in progress. We are flying across the world to bring home and care for our child who needs love. We have the ability to help a child. We see miracles every day, through our support system, our fundraiser and through our faith.

We were meant for this adoption journey. I’m sorry if you are still suffering from my diagnosis. Please don’t make me feel guilty that I can’t carry our child. Don’t think I’m not happy. I’m so thankful I get to be on this crazy terrifying draining, beautiful, remarkable, rewarding journey.

A woman’s strength is hard to measure. We hide it. We don’t allow people to see our battle that is going on in our head or what we are truly thinking on the inside. We force a smile because no one needs to see our fear.

I am NOT fearless. I am strong.

There it is, not all of it but a piece of the shadow that I hide. I will lay my head down tonight, child taking my last thought until I wake up again when they will take the first. Tears are shed weekly just ask Jeff, he came to learn a hug is what usually does the trick……..or ice cream 😉

The paperwork, the money, the hoops they make you jump through are tough, but doable.

The wait……the worry and fear is the cruelest. I at least know my child is out there and I see our future. Do they know I’m here? Do they know they are loved?

I give my fears to you Lord. Now help me put back on my brave face.



Comments

Popular Posts