The Tomb was Empty



Today is Easter Sunday and am reminded again how much our Lord loves us. Each year we follow the same scripture on how on the third day he had Risen. We celebrate with our Easter baskets, and home cooked meals. We hug one another and thank God for sending His only Son to deliver us from our sins, we sing we laugh we’re happy.
Today was the first time I was able to relate to the story and I’m very thankful for this. Often if we hear a story over and over again we sometimes forget it’s meaning and value even if we intend not to. But today in church I was blessed with the insight of Mary Magdalene and how she felt on the third day. Mary had just gone through torture and pain watching Jesus be crucified on the cross, then mourned the loss of her King whom she had followed, loved, and had be saved from on many occasions. Now on the third day she comes to the tomb to find it empty. I was reminded in church today how when we hear the tomb is empty we celebrate, as we already know how the story ends, but for Mary this was confusing, heart breaking and devastating.


This made me look at the empty tomb in a relatable matter. During that point in time the empty tomb was a complete shock and took the surprise and pain of those who loved Jesus. When they first find it empty, Mary immediately thinks the worst and accuses others of stealing Jesus’s body. I often too think of the worst when things do not turn out the way I have planned. Those moments when things seem to turn for the worst, or seem to never have an answer as to why. Nothing can compare to the sacrifice God gave for us, but looking at Mary’s point of view I develop a stronger faith in the empty tomb. I have a friend who relates in the constant emptiness of the search in finding a husband, and recently  she has traveled across the country and will be traveling across the world with others on mission trips. I know those who can relate in losing a loved one, or losing a job. I relate with my duration of trying to start a family. After the many years of unanswered questions I finally woke up after a surgery being told it may be very unlikely to have children and I needed to go through a series of medication treatment to go through menopause.  The tomb for me to have biological kids became empty.


Mary had those few terrifying moments until we realized the empty tomb was a good thing, in fact the best thing. Just like Mary I often don’t understand the reasons for the “bad times” or “no’s” but the empty tomb also gives me hope that I may someday know the end of my story like Mary did. A few months later after my surgery my husband and I decided to adopt our child from China. We have had conversations in our house of this before but this conversation was different. It was like light bulb just turned on above our heads and we questioned why we waited so long to start this process. We have dreams of our child coming home and are excited to include him or her in our future. We even talked about how in two years on this day we will be able to celebrate Easter and share this wonderful miracle with our little one. If my tomb wasn’t empty on biological children I’m not sure where we would be today and truthfully I do not care. I cannot picture receiving my child any other way.


During our breakfast this morning we chose to go out and enjoy our meal outside of the home. While being waited on we ran into a couple that we haven’t seen in a while. Long story short after hearing our adoptive story one of them looked at me with sad eyes and said, “oh I’m sorry you would have had beautiful children.”

I bit my tongue and swallowed hard as no matter where we are on our path I will always be sensitive to comments like those. Before I could open my mouth to explained the amount of happiness we have, my husband reached over the table, grabbed my hand and looked into her eyes and said, “We still will, and we will be with them soon”.

He has Risen, He has Risen Indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts