The life of an Adopting Mother




Jeff and I had just laid down and it’s around 1030 pm on a Thursday night. While women who are pregnant are experiencing being nauseated and painful heart burn during their first trimester, I experience organizing fundraisers. ( I think that causes heart burn too) J We are in the process of our 3rd fundraiser which is the rummage sale/craft sale. Today was day 2, but this process started roughly around February when we started collecting donations. Oh my goodness! What amazing stuff we gathered from those due to spring cleaning! There was such a variety of uniqueness that included 80’s infant clothes! Left handed gulf clubs, a framed photo of John Wayne, and a trailer full of just furniture! Jeff and I could not believe what we have received and were incredibly thankful for it. This led to us preparing 2 weeks in advanced to setting up and organizing the sale.

Jeff and I along with others who donated their time to help (BLESS YOU ALL) caused us to LIVE this rummage sale. I ate, slept, and breathed this rummage sale. I never in a million years would have thought Jeff and I would receive such grace from all the donated items and the time people took to help price everything!

So back to today, day two of the sale. Jeff and I had gone to work in the morning, while I got out early to help my sweet, dear old grandmother, great aunt, mom and family friend run the rummage sale. Shortly after, just about break time for dinner, Jeff and I were off to Appleton to join our class in an adoption course.

It was so uplifting as we talked with other adoptive parents who went through the process recently, along with two of the birth mothers and the kids who were adopted. Their stories were beautiful but deserve their own blog so more on that later!


So now Jeff and I are home, we look around our house at what needs to desperately be cleaned (is there a clean towel for my shower tomorrow?) and spent as much time with our lovable little 2-year-old puppy who, is going to be the best big brother ever.









The sale has been nothing but amazing and the weather, although every day had showed rain has been bright and sunny for us. We have had a great turnout due to our supportive friends and family sharing on Facebook. One lady had one come from west bend, a 30 minute drive, to see our sale. College students in Illinois told their parents to check on an item they saw from a picture I posted online. I have been able to meet others who have gone through the same process, had the same story as Jeff and I, and those who are thinking about adoption as well.

But I am exhausted. Beyond exhausted. The movements I make are forced by my own body to pick up my feet, pour a glass of water and actually think about what I am doing.

I walked in the kitchen placed my wallet in the fridge and fork in my purse. True story.

This may be the most worn out I have ever been and I’m including the days I was a nursing student. WOA!

 But this is parenting right? There will be days I will come home from work and want to just snuggle in the bed with them when really I need to help them with homework make dinner and clean the house. This is my life and I was given this life because I am strong enough to live it. So While others are going to the doctor for ultrasounds, I will be going for my home study and will do a drug screen along with making sure my BMI is acceptable to the agency.

So, when that alarm goes off tomorrow, I will probably hit snooze.
But then I will get up, go to work and do it all over again. Why? This is what I’m fighting for, this is for our child. When we bring him or her home and show them the photos of our journey, they will know how much they are loved and how much they are wanted. I only hope they know that feeling for the rest of their lives long after they are all grown.


The adoption process isn’t easy and can be painful but I hear child birth can be as well. Never give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about. And remember unlike being pregnant, you can always have coffee. J

Comments

Popular Posts